Monday, October 27, 2008

For Kristy

Do you suppose that, along with the label "widow" comes a sign plastered across our forehead that says, "Why don't you tell me what I should do now?" Now I am the first to admit that I made some REALLY stupid decisions within the first year after Ron died. But, they were my decisions to make. No one was hurt by them and I learned from both good choices and my poor choices. Maybe this is just part of the grieving process?

For my friend Kristy, I have walked this road before you and I know how frustrating it can be when others have expectations for you. Here is what I have learned along the way:

  • You can't please everyone.
  • No one else knows what is best for you.
  • No one else can tell you what to do with your life or how you should move on.
  • You will have good days and bad days... neither defines who you are or how you are doing.
  • Walls will definitely appear before you - with no warning. It's OK... This will happen. Don't worry about climbing over it or even going around it. You will when you are ready. Maybe the wall before you is a sign that you should stop, rest, and pray? Don't let the wall intimidate or discourage you.
  • Go easy on yourself! Give yourself a break! It has been less than a year. I didn't move on (at least the way others expected me to) for a couple of years. I just went through the motions of life until God showed me that I was ready for something more.
  • You have no idea what God has planned for your life. Let the possibilities excite you as you wait in anticipation.
  • No matter where you are, and where you choose to live, your home is in God's heart and in the palm of His hand. You do have a place where you "reside" always... even as you search for your earthly residence.
  • And... hold on to this truth:
"Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ." (Galatians 1:10)

I believe in you Kristy. What you do with your life and which path you choose to take is between you and God... no one else. I think you are doing GREAT!

Sweet Blessings,
LeAnn

1 comment:

Janine said...

LeAnn,
Kristy sent me a link to this post and all I can say is "Amen!"
I had just written a post on my blog that says a lot of what you said (in fact, I've written a few). It's been 10 months for me.
I'm glad that she sent me your site. Oh, and I saw you at "She Speaks" back June. It was my first time and I loved it!
Janine