Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Yummy Memories!

I just posted on my other blog about some of the meals that I remember from my childhood. (Read the post here) This led to a conversation with my Proverbs 31 Ministries sisters during lunch today. We shared some of the meals that our moms made for us and we talked about the meals we make for our kids. We also talked about missing those recipes that our moms and grandmothers made for us.

Melissa's mom has stage 4 lung cancer. Melissa spends as much time with her as she can, enjoying laughing and sharing memories together. Yesterday her mom pulled out her recipes and Melissa listened as her mom commented on some of them. This made me think about the special meals that my grandmothers made and how sad I am that I only have a few of their recipes.

Those of us who have lost a loved one treasure our memories. Many of my memories are tied to a smell or, in the case of my grandmothers, to certain meals. It's not just about the actual food - it's about the memories attached to the food. It's about how happy they were to see the enjoyment on my face as I took that first bite of the meal they prepared with so much love. It's about the company, the conversations, and the laughter that surrounded the meals.

Every year on Ron's birthday, I prepare one of his favorite meals (or at least part of it - since Nick doesn't like it). Ron loved my grilled chicken and mushroom lasagna and German chocolate cake! The grin that spread across his face and the twinkle in his eye when I made this meal on his birthday is something I will never forget and the memory brings a smile to my face even now.

I encourage you to celebrate the memory of a loved one with your family by preparing a favorite meal, like I do on Ron's birthday. Nick and I laugh as I share silly stories about his dad as we eat the meal. Instead of spending Ron's birthday being sad because he is no longer with us, we spend it celebrating his life.

Here's another thought...

Do you have an elderly parent, aunt, grandmother that holds treasured recipes? If you do, how about putting together a cookbook/scrapbook with the recipes, some photos, and personal notes. Have them help you put this together, including their own memories of special occasions or silly stories. If you have recipes in their own handwriting... all the better! Make copies and include them. Make sure you make a book for everyone. What an amazing gift this will make for all members of the family and what a great way to pass along the recipes and stories to your children and their children...

Include your holiday traditions in your book. What a great way to pass these traditions on to future generations.

This type of book would also make a great wedding gift for a new daughter-in-law. Not long after my brothers were married, I put together a cookbook that included some of our family recipes. You know... mom's meatloaf (because everyone else's meatloaf is awful), Granddaddy's chili, and the recipes for all the Christmas cookies mom made every year. My brothers were as excited as their wives to have these recipes. Honestly, I don't know if my brother, Brett, could get through the holidays without mom's famous cherry bars!

My sweet friends, putting together a book of recipes, photos, and stories is a wonderful way to spend time with those you love, remember those you have lost, and keep memories alive for future generations.

I'm suddenly craving mom's meatloaf. Her secret ingredient... Rice Krispies! Strange but true!

Sweet Blessings,
LeAnn

No comments: