Wednesday, November 26, 2008

An Empty Place at the Table

I'm having a hard time counting my blessings today. The holidays are always a little rough and it doesn't seem to change as the years go by. In 1 Thessalonians 5:18 we are instructed to give thanks in everything for it is God's will for us in Christ Jesus. Don't get me wrong... I am very thankful. I am thankful for my amazing son. I am thankful for the air that I breathe. I am thankful for my church, my job, and the many friends and family that God has placed in my life. I am thankful that I live in a country where I can own several Bibles and that I don't have to fear reading the Word of God. I am thankful for Jesus - because of the hope I have in Him, I know that I will see Ron again and I know that, while I am struggling at this moment, Ron is pain free and radiant.

If you are having a hard time thinking about Thanksgiving and feeling like you just want to crawl under the covers and cry, let's try to lift ourselves out - together! Here are some things that we can all be thankful for today, no matter what our circumstances:

  • We are saved by His grace
  • We are safe in the arms of the Son and the Father
  • We have everlasting life in Christ
  • We shall never be separated by anything from His love
  • We will be where His is in eternity
  • We are certain that to die will be gain
  • We have the peace of God
  • We will be raised with Him in the morning of the resurrection
  • We can do all things through Christ
  • We have the throne of grace to come to
  • We have the blessed hope of a new heaven and a new earth with a new body
The apostle, Paul, knew that the riches he had in Jesus were far greater than any suffering he must endure on earth. He continued to look up, focusing on what was waiting for him... what is waiting for all of us.

My friends, let's adopt Paul's attitude of gratitude as we face another Thanksgiving with an empty place at the table. Instead of looking at that place as empty - how about setting another place at the table? Set a place for Jesus next to the place where your loved one would sit as a visual reminder that is filled with hope. One day we will all be sitting at His table... together. That is something we can all be thankful for.

Wishing you a hope-filled Thanksgiving!

Sweet Blessings,
LeAnn

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to send blessing your way this day. I too am a widow... With girls 13, 16, 18. My sweet Chris passed 11 years ago. Miss him still. You bet. He was the love of my life......and best friend. He died in a plane crash....It is hard to understand why the lord would take such a wonderful family man. But God has carried me through these years and I am very blessed with girls who have hearts for Jesus, and also serving hearts...My desire is always keep focussed on the paths Jesus has lined out for me and stay completely in his will... He is so good.. so blessing kathy

Chef Diane said...

Amen!
I am feeling an empty place at my table this year. It is hard because this time last year we were all together as a family enjoying a great vacation. This year I am in the middle of an unwanted divorce and it just hurts. I am very thankful to have my three sons home. I am thankful for all the things you mentioned. It is so reassuring that we have a heavenly Father who is always at the table.
Hugs,
Diane

Anonymous said...

From the book, "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young.

Thankfulness takes the sting out of adversity. That is why I have instructed you to give thanks for everything. There is an element of mystery in this transaction: You give Me thanks (regardless of your feelings), and I give you Joy (regardless of your circumstances). This is a spiritual act of obedience—at times, blind obedience. To people who don’t know Me intimately, it can seem irrational and even impossible to thank Me for heart-rending hardships. Nonetheless, those who obey Me in this way are invariably blessed, even though difficulties may remain.

Thankfulness opens your heart to My Presence and your mind to My thoughts. You may still be in the same place, with the same set of circumstances, but it is as if a light has been switched on, enabling you to see from My perspective. It is this Light of My Presence that removes the sting from adversity.



Taken from Jesus Calling, Eph. 5:20; Ps. 118:1 ; Psalm 89:15