Thursday, July 24, 2008

Mother Son Bonding?

As a single parent I struggle with spending enough "quality time" with my son. I work full time; I have a home to take care of; I volunteer in my community; I'm involved in my church; I attempt to be a girlfriend and actually socialize with other women every now and then; and, of course, there's laundry, dishes, cleaning, grocery shopping, errands, doctor and dentist appointments, and all of Nick's activities. I end each day absolutely exhausted and wondering what I actually accomplished that day.

Do you feel me? Does this sound like your life? Seriously... there are days when I look at my son and wonder, "who is that young man on my sofa and how long has he been sitting there?!"

Before I had a child I worked on a cross-stitch piece to hang on my wall. (It was the last piece I ever worked on and I never completed it.) It was the saying,

Cleaning and dusting can wait 'till tomorrow
for children grow up, we've learned to our sorrow.

So quiet down cobwebs - dust go to sleep
I'm rocking my baby, and babies don't keep.


It was a nice thought. Then reality kicked in... along with dirty diapers, late-night feedings, and LOTS of laundry! I suppose I could have sat in the squalor and rocked my baby and somehow learned to live with the smell but that just didn't make sense. Somehow I found a way to balance quality time with my sweet baby with the daily responsibilities of running a household and being a wife. I loved my husband and my child and I wanted to spend time with them. But, laundry doesn't do itself. I had to juggle my time and learn to prioritize. Like most women - I had to do it all! (Isn't that what it says under "woman" in the dictionary?)

Ron died 11 years ago so, for 11 years, I have not had a husband to help me raise my child or to help with any household chores. Some days are harder than others. Of course I would prefer to spend all of my time with Nick but the reality is that the bills need to be paid and the house will start to smell if the dishes pile up in the sink! (I know this from experience!)

Last weekend my "to-do" list was WAAAAY longer than time would make possible to complete. "Mommy guilt" kicked in right away as I realized that the only communication with my son would occur when he called out that it was feeding time! I do NOT want to be a parent who misses the important things. I do NOT want to be a parent whose child doesn't remember any "fun" times with mom. I do NOT want to be a parent who wakes up one day to realize that my son has graduated from college and I have no idea who his friends are, what he thinks about, and what matters to him. So... what do I do? How can I spend quality time with Nick and still get at least most of the things on my "to-do" list completed?

First of all, Nick is 14 now and there are basic household chores that are his responsibility. He takes out the garbage, sorts his dirty clothes, vacuums, etc. I'm talking about the extra stuff that comes up like cleaning out the closets and putting together furniture before company shows up, which is what happened last weekend. I found an answer to my dilemma through laughter. What I thought would end up being the lost weekend, turned into one of the best mother-son bonding weekends ever!

I included Nick in the planning, cleaning out the closets, and putting the furniture together (we can only afford furniture that comes in a box). Instead of looking at each item on my list as a "task," I looked at each one as an opportunity. I found ways to make jokes about the stuff we pulled out of the closets, and the silly differences in men and women as we put the furniture together. There was his way (the manly, man way) and my way (the follow directions girly way). We switched roles more than once (his idea) and laughed our way through every "task" on the list. We laughed so hard that tears were running down our faces. We had SO MUCH FUN that it didn't seem like work at all. And... best of all... I didn't miss another weekend with my kid because I was taking care of the chores. I didn't put the chores before Nick. I just found a creative way to get it all done. Uh huh... I am woman- hear me roar!

Being a parent is probably the hardest job in the world. So much of it is a guessing game and I know I make lots of mistakes. My priority is that Nick feels loved and that he never feels like he comes in second to my responsibilities, even though these things are necessary parts of life. I want him to look back at his childhood and remember the silly stuff as well as the significant stuff. I don't want him to look back and remember that his mom was always too busy to spend time with him.

I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to hear from you if you have ideas for spending quality time with your kids while still getting everything done. I know how hard it is to try to accomplish everything without your life-mate. It's rough! We need all the help we can get so maybe we can help each other!

Blessings!
LeAnn

5 comments:

Linds said...

My son and I go hiking (or rather walking) in the mountains together. Somehow, every time something bizarre happens. We take the wrong path, the ice is too dangerous, the path ends randomly. Whatever. I just have to say..shall we go for a walk? and he grins and says, I wonder what will happen next! It is a great time to talk too. The last time we were having a relatively uneventful walk, I remember saying that he will bring his children here one day and tell them of all the adventures we had. He grinned and said it is now a family tradition. He is now 19 and has never minded tramping through forests with his mother!

Luanne said...

Sorry I've got no words of wisdom. I keep wishing I could have read your post when my kids were your sons age.

What a wonderful bonding moment for the two of you. I hope there are many more.

Luanne

Chef Diane said...

I came from a dysfunctional family and feel deep down that I missed my childhood. So when God gave me 3 sons I decided early on that I was going to raise them different than what I knew. God has blessed me abundantly with great memories and time with the boys. Although their dad and I were married and he showed up for the token sporting event or band concert. He thought sports were a waste of time and band was for geeks. Our oldest is a very talented musician and is on a half scholarship at VMI. Also a very cute geek who is majoring in physics.
April of this year my husband filed for divorce and I suffer from chronic pain (I was the one in the red scooter at She Speaks) and disability from an assault in 2001. Two on the boys are still at home. They are 16 and 15 and very active. Since pain is such a part of my life and I don’t want to miss the important moments I ask them. We decide together what things matter to them and if they even want me there. That way the things that matter the most get attended to. Each son is different as to the important things.
I am the type of person who loves to have a good time. God gave me a mind that doesn’t sleep. Here are some of the things I have done with the boys:
* made snack tray and hooked the movie player up in their room, then watched their choice of flicks.
* ice-cream run after they went to bed, so they had to wear the pjs in the car
* had backwards dinners, dessert first
*progressive dinners at Fast Food places, drinks at one, ff at another, burgers at yet another
* allowing them space to invite their friends over and set limits, but sit an listen to their hearts
* respect what their going through, they are growing up in a different time
* seize every moment of time you can sneak away with them one on one
* even 15 minute car rides can be about asking their belief and validating their opinion on something
* may favorite is learning each child’s love language and taking time to nurture it.
One loves to lie on the bed and just talk, (communication)
One loves to get his feet massaged or back scratched (physical touch)
One loves to build things (hands on work)

These are precious years that can not be replaced. I take every chance to make memories.
Nick sounds like he has a very incredible mother.
Keep doing what you’re doing,
Diane

Kitty @ Four Toms and a Mom said...

I have four boys. Boys like to wrestle.

I'm a woman. I don't like to wrestle.

So the boys are missing that a lot. One evening last week a thunderstorm was brewing. The boys lingered around me because the lightening flashes and distant thunder made the little ones nervous. As I pulled up the dopler radar on my lap top, two of the boys took to wrestling on my bed. Another joined in, and then another. Before long, my bed was stripped of everything and the biggest wrestling match was one.

When I joined in, it might as well have been Christmas morning, the joy was so great. We all wrestled for an hour and no one even got hurt (usually within a half hour someone has broken down into tears).

For the rest of the evening, I kept having the boys approach me lovingly and individually and whispering, "I love you, Mom." They were especially bonded with me that night- wrestling has it's own language.

Luanne said...

LeAnn one more comment. It seems I've been tagged and directed to pass it on so I'm passing it along to you. Please check out my blog for directions.
http://lpgodspots.blogspot.com/2008/07/okay-looks-like-ive-been-tagged-by-dana.html

Luanne