Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Happy Birthday!

Today would have been Ron's 46th birthday. It's a bittersweet day for me. While I am sad that we won't be celebrating in the traditional way, I am filled with joy over the celebrations we will share together one day!

Today, Nick and I will be celebrating his dad's life by going to a ridiculously silly movie that his dad would have loved. Then we will go out to dinner and share birthday cake. We celebrate Ron's life. We celebrate that he remains a part of our lives. And we celebrate the hope we have in Jesus and in what's to come. What a party that will be!!!

People consistently ask me how I get through the rough days. (Every day doesn't include a silly movie and birthday cake. Some days are filled with tears.) Women ask for my advice on dealing with grief. My answer always includes finding a positive way to channel my emotions. I have found that reaching out and helping someone else actually comforts me. It's not as easy to have a pity-party when you see that someone else is struggling.

Well, God knew that today would be a little more difficult than other days so He has kept me busy! All day I have been answering questions from women who have emailed me looking for comfort. They don't know that today would have been Ron's birthday. But God knows. Through comforting them, God has comforted me. I am very grateful.

The next time you are facing a difficult day, find someone that needs you. Is someone struggling with their kids, their husband, their job? Is there a shelter that needs someone to fix a hot meal? Do you have a neighbor with a broken arm who could use some help with grocery shopping? Is your church looking for volunteers to help with VBS? Do you know someone else who is grieving?

Let God use you to fill a gap in someone else's life. Trust me... it will fill the gap in yours!

4 comments:

Kitty @ Four Toms and a Mom said...

Happy Ron's Birthday for your family, LeAnn. It sounds as though after many celebrations, you and your son have found the right recipe for celebrating life and remembering how much he has touched yours.

I agree with you about reaching out. I had a tough night a few nights ago, missing my Tom. I was at the She Speaks conference and found that I really wasn't as prepared as I though I might be to do the hotel room alone thing. I was missing him terribly.

When I returned from the conference, low and behold, the Lord called me to help someone in desparate need. Can you believe it, after my loosing Tom last August, a neighbor just five doors down lost her husband Sunday morning. She's only 39, and she's devestated!

Spending time with her helped me to see how far through the grief I've journeyed over the past ten months. I remembered how important it was to have prayer warriors and a listening ear right by my side. I'm so thankful that the Lord put me right here to help her. Being a support to her is so healing for me.

Prayers for you, LeAnn, for the good days and the tough ones.

Jodie Wolfe said...

I'm praying for you!

Blessings,
Pearls

Wendy Pope said...

LeAnn
You doing for others? How is today different than any other day?

Doing for others is your life and you live it beautifully!

I love you.

Danita said...

Hey LeAnn, Thanks for sharing that birthday post. My Dave's b-day was July 4th and for the past 3 years we have celebrated him along w/ the fireworks. Since he was in the Navy as well, he really was a Yankee Doodle Dandee :) . I think it has helped my girls to be intentional about holidays instead of dreading them & just waiting for them to be over. We have sent balloons w/ messages heavenward, gone on road trips, eaten daddy's favorite candy and spent time looking at favorite photo albums, depending on the mood & holiday. I often wonder if Audrey really remembers him (she was 2 when he died). Hope so! I also loved your plan for reaching out - that is sooo true and it always seems a bit of me is being healed through giving comfort. Thanks LeAnn, you are a treasure. Danita